18th March 2019
22nd March 2019
25th March 2019
plus 1 more date(s), see below for more info
|1.30pm - 3pm|
|Glasgow City Centre|
|£15.00 (plus booking fee) in advance on Eventbrite|
|Visit the event website here|
This 90 minute walk begins at the CRM Society’s information point at Mackintosh at the Willow at 215 Sauchiehall Street and will finish at The Lighthouse, Mitchell Lane, covering roughly 1.6km in the city centre. En route to The Lighthouse, participants will get the chance to see the Mackintosh’s first marital home, just off Blythswood Square, and other ambitious architectural buildings - Lion Chambers and the Ca’D’Oro Building - by Mackintosh’s peers James Salmon Jnr and John Honeyman.
Along the way, participants will learn about the changing face of Glasgow in the early 20th century; its important architects and their buildings, and the impact and influence of the city on Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Led by the CRM Society, the walk will have a focus on Mackintosh himself while also giving background context and filling in the gaps of The Glasgow Style story.
Stuart Robertson, Director, CRM Society, commented: “Mackintosh is a huge draw to the city with over a million visitors to Mackintosh venues in and around Glasgow last year for the 150th anniversary of his birth. The walking tours are a must for anyone wishing to learn more about Mackintosh, see his buildings in the city centre up close, and hear about the fascinating story of The Glasgow Style. We are piloting the walks in March with the hope that they continue throughout the Summer.”
• Booking is essential to avoid disappointment as group sizes are capped at 10 people.
• Children are welcome but please be advised that the route is structured around busy city centre streets.
• Tours will take place every Monday and Friday in March 2019.
• The tour is currently only available in English.
• Proceeds (minus Eventbrite booking fee) go directly to supporting the work of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society which is an independent, non-profit making charity, established in 1973 to promote and encourage awareness of the Scottish architect and designers.
Additional Dates: 22 March 2019, 25 March 2019, 29 March 2019
While we take every opportunity to ensure the details for Mackintosh City Centre Architectural Tour are accurate, we always advise that you contact the event organiser before setting out for the event to avoid disapointment.
Looking to reach new customers? We offer a variety of advertising options with prices starting from just £30 per month!