Meeting point will be at the Sustrans stall at the festival (the map marker on Eventbrite may not give the exact location of the Sustrans stall so please refer to the map provided once you arrive at the Canal Festival).
We have two rides this year, one leaving at 12pm and another leaving at 12:30pm.
Our cycle rides are led by trained Sustrans volunteers and ride at an easy pace to suit the group and ensure that no one will be left behind.
This rides are run in conjunction with the annual Glasgow Canal Festival, run by the Glasgow Canal Project as part of Scottish Canals, on Saturday 20 July from 10:30am to 6pm on the Forth & Clyde Canal between Speirs Wharf and Applecross Basin.
The ride follows National Cycle Network (NCN) Routes 754 & 756 of the Forth & Clyde Canal then heads down through Kelvingrove Park to join up with the cycle path NCN route 75 & 7 along the River Clyde and past the Riverside Museum. We will then join the cycle path at Whiteinch to follow the route to Clydebank. Once in Clydebank we go up on to the cycle path by the side of the Forth & Clyde Canal and head back along the canal to the starting point at the Festival.
- The ride is suitable for most types of riders although the distance does mean a moderate level of fitness is required
- The ride will be at a leisurely pace in order to accommodate all riders
- The ride is led and supervised by qualified Sustrans cycle ride leaders at all times
- The ride is mainly on traffic free paths
- The ride follows National Cycle Network (NCN) Routes 7, 75, 754, and 756.
- There will be a comfort break at roughly the halfway point
- You will need to bring your own bike and make sure it is in good working order (or one from a hire bike scheme like NextBike)
- Please bring weather-appropriate clothing, snacks, and water
There are plenty of NextBikes to hire (should you need one) around Glasgow. For more information, please visit: https://www.nextbike.co.uk/en and check the 'Locations' tab and zoom into Glasgow for more detail of the stops. The closest NextBike stations to the starting point are: Speirs Wharf (Station number: 8459) and Port Dundas (Station number: 8469).
If you are unable to attend a ride, please cancel your booking as soon as possible so we can offer the place to someone else.
For more information on NCN routes, please visit: www.sustrans.org.uk/map-ncn and for Sustrans monthly led rides and activites across Scotland, please visit: www.sustrans.org.uk/events/
For any questions, please email Cameron on Cameron.Reid@sustrans.org.uk
While we take every opportunity to ensure the details for Glasgow Canal Festival Sustrans Led Cycle Rides are accurate, we always advise that you contact the event organiser before setting out for the event to avoid disapointment.
Looking to reach new customers? We offer a variety of advertising options with prices starting from just £30 per month!