A new £2.5 million waterfront pathway linking Dumbarton Town Centre to Dumbarton Rock has secured planning permission to progress to delivery.
The 1,140metre coastal walkway, approved by Councilors at Planning Committee, will be delivered by December 2019 and will be ideal for walkers and cyclists. The walkway will also be used by tourists and visitors to the historic Dumbarton Castle directly from the town centre.
The Council will work with landowners including Dumbarton Football Club, Turnberry Homes, Lidl, Culross/Dunbritton and Historic Environment Scotland to deliver a high specification pathway including a wide walkway and cycle path connecting the Town Centre with Dumbarton Castle.
The walkway will be fitted with guard rails, wave walls and lighting will be fitted along the route along with appropriate stopping viewpoints. The Council will contribute towards 30% of the walkway with remaining 70% split with each landowners.
Richard Cairns, Strategic Director for Regeneration, Environment & Growth, said: “This walkway will transform the heart of Dumbarton and along with developing the land into a major tourist attraction it will be well used by residents and visitors to the area. As a Council we are committed to improving the wellbeing of our communities and encouraging economic growth, and the development of sites like this one can help us deliver on both of these ambitions.”
He added: “This is an exciting development in the heart of Dumbarton and I’m sure it will be very popular when it is finished. This great asset will offer residents and visitors a beautiful coastal walkway where they will really get to enjoy a walk with a tremendous outlook.”
The new waterfront path was identified as a priority in the action plan following the Dumbarton Charrette in 2015. The Council with the support of the Scottish Government and Historic Environment Scotland focused on where the Rock and Castle area could be improved by linking them to the centre of Dumbarton.
Looking to reach new customers? We offer a variety of advertising options with prices starting from just £30 per month!