|77 - 81 High Street, Ayr KA7 1LU|
|The Grain Exchange Website|
|Follow grain_exchange on Twitter|
|Facebook information can be found here|
The Grain Exchange sits on the site of the town’s Meal Market where cereals were traded. The first market was constructed here in 1586; however, informal trading on the site is thought to predate even this. By the 19th century the market occupied a strong, square building on the site which was opened on Tuesdays and Fridays. This was demolished in 1843 and the current imposing structure built in its stead.
The building was purchased by the Clydesdale Bank in 1856 and converted into an open-planned banking hall. The bank re-located at the end of the 20th century.
All information (whether in text or photographs) is supplied in good faith but should not be relied upon as being a statement of representation or fact. We take every opportunity to ensure the details for The Grain Exchange are accurate, please contact us at hello[@]whatsonnetwork.co.uk if any of the above information is incorrect.