Article Source: Book Week Scotland
First Published: 15 November 2021 10:52
Updated: 15 November 2021 10:52
Scottish Book Trust, the national charity that runs Book Week Scotland, has worked closely with partners to provide both online and in person events centred around this year’s theme of ‘celebration’ including an interactive reading map to reveal the nation’s reading habits.
Philippa Cochrane, Head of Reading Communities at Scottish Book Trust, said: “It is so exciting to be celebrating the 10th Book Week Scotland. Over the last decade Book Week Scotland has grown to become a joyful, inclusive week in Scotland’s book calendar. Once again Book Week Scotland is delivered with fantastic partners – libraries, community organisations, charities, schools and many more – across the country and offers a riotous collection of events and activities. We hope everyone in Scotland feels welcomed to the party and celebrates Book Week Scotland’s 10th anniversary by reading, gifting, discussing and celebrating the books they love.”
The new Reading Map of Scotland, designed to capture and share what the nation is reading now, is live from Monday 15 November. Members of the public are encouraged to plot their location and current book of choice on the interactive map via Scottish Book Trust’s website.
Book Week Scotland will also launch #ILoveMyLibrary, a week-long social media campaign in support of libraries, encouraging the public to join in and share their memories of their favourite or local library. Top authors in Scotland will also take part, celebrating the library they most treasure. The memories and anecdotes will be displayed on a dedicated social wall on Scottish Book Trust’s website.
For music lovers, there’s the opportunity to create a playlist poem using song titles. Poet Nadine Aisha Jassat and author Harry Josephine Giles have contributed their own #BookWeekScotlandPlaylistPoem, which can be viewed here.
50,000 free copies of a new book, Celebration, which includes real life stories from people around the country, will be available from libraries and other community venues during Book Week Scotland. The book includes 22 stories selected by a panel, plus commissioned pieces from Courtney Stoddart, Elle McNicoll, Eòghan Stewart, Mòrag Law and Ross Sayers.
Event highlights of Book Week Scotland include:
• Award-winning author Denise Mina kicks off the celebrations at Glasgow Women’s Library, where she filmed a new documentary: The Women Writers of Garnethill with tour guide Melody House. The film explores the contribution women writers have made to the area, and the city of Glasgow. It will premiere on YouTube on Monday 15 November at 12.30pm.
• On Monday evening, for those who wish to join Book Week Scotland from the comfort of their own homes, there will be a downloadable role-playing game written by visual artist Adrian Barber. A star-studded line-up will play through the game, featuring: Marvel comic writer Kieron Gillen; bestselling author Val McDermid; DC Comics writer Ram V; Marvel comic writer and bestselling novelist Marjorie Liu; and award-winning comic artist and author Hari Conner.
• On Wednesday 17 November at 12.30pm, Book Week Scotland will premiere a new documentary with former Makar Jackie Kay on her first novel, Trumpet. The film will offer exclusive insight to the inspiration and writing of the bestselling book.
• On Thursday 18 November at 11am, there will be an Authors Live event: a panel on Young Scottish Voices featuring Nadine Aisha Jassat, Chris McQueer and Cat Hepburn. They will showcase their writing and share how young people can use their own voices and experiences in writing and storytelling.
• On Thursday evening, the Damian Barr Literary Salon will team up with Book Week Scotland to bring an unmissable event starring Baggage author Alan Cumming in conversation with Damian Barr, and poetry performances from the ascendant talents of Lennie Pennie and Courtney Stoddart. The event will run online Thursday 18 November at 7pm and tickets are available to buy here.
• In the year of Scottish coastlines and waterways, Harry Josephine Giles, Evie Wyld and Raman Mundair will join Book Week Scotland for a Celebrating Island Literature panel, chaired by Pàdraig MacAoidh. The event will premiere on Saturday 20 November at 4pm on YouTube.
The full Book Week Scotland programme can be viewed here.
British sign language and closed captions will be available for all the panel events.
Princes Square loves Christmas just as much as you do and this year, they have created their very own Elf School!
Award winning burger supremoes, El Perro Negro have release a limited edition festive burger!
itison, organisers of The Ice Experience at Elfingrove, have confirmed ten additional holiday dates, which will go on sale on Thursday 9th December!
As part of The Tall Ship Glenlee's 125th celebrations the Clyde Maritime Trust welcomes the support of Elaine C Smith as the real-life figurehead for the charity after the ships own Mary Doll.
Scotland's biggest ever ice rink, The Ice Experience at Elfingrove, opens to the public today set against the stunning backdrop of Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum!
What appeared to be Still Game's Jack and Victor were spotted in a rubber dinghy on the River Kelvin this morning!
With the festive season well underway, Glasgow City’s newest hotel is looking forward to welcoming you, and they have the ultimate offer for you to take advantage of!
Theatre Royal Glasgow is delighted to announce that Eastenders stars Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett will reunite in the stage adaption of Peter James' bestselling novel, Looking Good Dead!
Christmas has officially arrived in Glasgow, with the launch of the Cranside Winter Village open until 2nd January 2022!
Scotland's biggest Ice Experience EVER is now frozen and almost complete as Elfingrove gets ready to open to the public on Thursday 2nd December!
The Blankfaces, a Glasgow based social enterprise is offering a discount on their unique, cutting-edge streetwear in exchange for supporting Carntyne Food Bank.
East London-based menswear brand, Percival will open a pop-up store in Princes Square from 1 – 5 December!
The first events have been announced for Glasgow Film Festival (GFF) 2022.
Great Scottish Run have announced their Greatest Black Friday deal and this is one you don't want to miss!
Opening its doors at Midday on Saturday 27th November, Hard Rock Cafe Glasgow is looking forward to welcoming everyone to their exciting new cocktail lounge and pool hall!
The award-winning Clydeside Collective reveals their plans to give back this Christmas with the launch of their 'Relove, Rewild Christmas' initiative.
Today, organisers of Out East Festival have announced the musical line-up for 2022’s family-friendly extravaganza in Dalkeith Country Park.
The organisers of the French Film Festival UK are delighted to reveal an exciting new edition of the online programme which will run from Friday 3rd to Sunday 12th December.
Christmas shoppers can grab a bargain this Black Friday as Buchanan Galleries has revealed some of its best money-saving offers – the centre has also launched a festive free parking promotion!
A crowdfunder launched earlier this year by The National Piping Centre has been successful in raising the funds to protect and develop their piping archive, with the launch of a new annual publication
cinch presents TRNSMT festival is delighted to reveal the day splits for next year's musical extravaganza in Glasgow Green!
Entries are now open to junior teams across Scotland to win the chance to be put through their paces by Scotland international Hamish Watson at DAM Health Stadium in 2022.
After last year's postponement, Scotland's biggest pantomime is back, and to celebrate, the city's newest hotel Maldron Hotel Glasgow City, has announced a special Theatre package offer!
DF Concerts & Events have announced an exciting new addition to the festival calendar - Connect, which will take place between 26th-28th August 2022!
The IRN-BRU Carnival celebrates its return to the SEC with one month to go until doors open on Europe's largest indoor funfair!
Quarriers is appealing for donations to help homeless young people across Scotland to receive a gift over the festive period.
Glasgow based natural dog treat manufacturer, Opie’s Emporium, has announced the launch of their Christmas charity fundraiser in support of Give a Dog a Bone... and an animal a home!
Hard Rock Cafe Glasgow is ringing in the season of giving by inviting guests to come together over its limited-time Thanksgiving plate available from Thursday 25th November.
Fastlove – the show that promises to get the 'boom-boom-boom-boom back into your heart' – is coming to town!