|113-117 Trongate, Glasgow City Centre G1 5HD|
|The Britannia Panopticon Music Hall Website|
|Follow britpanopticon on Twitter|
|Facebook information can be found here|
Built in 1857 by Thomas Gildard and H. M. McFarlane, it has hosted some of the biggest names on the Music hall circuit.
In 1906 Stan Laurel made his first stage appearance there on amateur night. In that same year A. E. Pickard bought the building and changed its name to the Panopticon. He also undertook some major works, installing a freak show, a roof top carnival and a waxworks. He also excavated the basement and installed an indoor zoo.
The Panopticon was one of the first buildings in Glasgow become powered by electricity and one of the first cinemas in Scotland. It closed in 1938 when it was sold to a tailors and converted to a workshop. It is currently being conserved by a trust who regularly perform traditional shows in the auditorium. It is now protected as a category A listed building.
All information (whether in text or photographs) is supplied in good faith but should not be relied upon as being a statement of representation or fact. We take every opportunity to ensure the details for The Britannia Panopticon Music Hall are accurate, please contact us at hello[@]whatsonnetwork.co.uk if any of the above information is incorrect.
Enjoy some old time music hall shows and get a taste of the entertainment of the day at The Britannia Panopticon!
Cinetopia in collaborating with The Debutante brings a women-led evening of surrealist films and technologically-enhanced live music performed by Aurora Engine and Bell Lungs!